22 November 2006

Sharepoint is the cure...?

{this might be a little provocative, you have been warned} In the last couple of days I have heard the word "Sharepoint" too much. Really! It seems that Sharepoint is a real alternative for Sakai. That is the message I am hearing repeatedly. And today I received information that Sharepoint might be good for content management.
Let me say a few things:
1. Sure, Sharepoint has some great tools for collaborative work. Sakai has them too. But Sharepoint (and I mean out of the box) has no real elearning tools, like Sakai has. For example: Online testing, a.k.a. Samigo. Sharepoint has no integration with LAMS (if that is your cup of tea). Sharepoint has no SCORM capabilities. So, in my opinion, if you really are serious about elearning, please take into account the needs and wishes of your teachers, faculty, of whatever you want to call them.
2. Sharepoint as an engine for a dynamic website, for community building, with web 2.0 capabilities... This is really quite new to me. But I am quite confident that there are better fits for this, already out there (no beta software), which are cheaper if you look at the TCO. Just a few products (opensource and commercial) that come to mind, in no particular order: Joomla, Drupal, Elgg, Smartsite, Mambo, Zope, Typo3, Hippo, GX Webmanager, Roxen etc
Really, I am quite disappointed. Disappointed by the complete uninformedness and incompetence that comes with these kind of simple comparisons. What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are right on the spot, Sharepoint is just not designed as an elearning-platform. In fact, I think it is not even functioning that well as a CMS.

Sharepoint definitely is still web 1.0, no way near web 2.0 yet and I doubt it will ever be. At best it will be Microsoft's interpretation of web 2.0.