28 April 2006

Naarden, day 1

So, today (well, technically I should say "yesterday") I am at the SURF-JISC staff exchange workshop held in a nice hotel over here in Naarden. I am just using the wireless internet provided by Swisscom, which works quite OK, even in my room.
Anyway: Wijnandaalderink has already put up some first impressions on this first day up on his weblog. These are my first impressions (in reverse order):
1. The Dutch and UK people can keep up with each other regarding drinks. Actually we were kciked out of the bar just about 30 minutes ago.
2. I had some great chats with lots of people over dinner and drinks. Here are just some names: Wijnand, Peter, Wouter, Pierre, Marij, Bart and Tom.
3. The official part of this 1st day consisted of six presentations of the results that we have achieved in the cooperation between JISC and SURF. Most results, in my opinion, have been achieved in the streamteam cooperation. For other areas, like mobile learning, there is still a lot of room for improvement. The grassroots initiative is very much something that they could take over in the UK from us.
4. For me the most important part of the afternoon was the presentation by Tish Roberts on the e-framework. This is still moving forward and certainly has lots of potential. The real area for improvement here, is to make it much more tactile I guess. People (from all sorts of different target groups) will only get a feel for the real benefit of the e-framework in the long run if we can show them what it does (on this computerscreen).
Ok, there is more to come tomorrow, so I will go to bed now.

No comments: